top of page


Below are some examples of services we offer - however the full range of services is better explained in the downloadable PDF Document below - 

Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 20.58.02.png

Planning and Building Control

A Local Authority Planning Committee decides whether planning permission will be granted for any particular project. They are advised by planning officers and must have good reason to contradict that advice but nothing can be guaranteed. Ultimately, it is the Planning Committee’s decision.In the event of a rejection the Chartered Architectural Technologist can advise on further action. It should also be noted that if your project involves works to a listed building or falls within a conservation area, it may be referred to other public bodies for comment before a decision is made by the planning authority. In some instances, a pre-planning submission is required which is arranged and charged for by the LocalAuthority. Some local authorities offer pre-planning meetings which may also be charged for and your Chartered Architectural Technologist may advise you on how best to proceed.


Project Management (start to finish)

Once Planning permission is obtained your Chartered Architectural
Practice can produce detail drawings, specifications, and enough
information for the scheme to be tendered to several building
contractors, we can advise on suitability and size of contractors
dependant on the scale of the project, obtain quotations and tenders and advise on the most suitable building contract with which to appoint the main contractor. The extent of the contract and and any penalty clauses imposable due to finishing late should always be explored, and we can administrate the contract, inspect the workmanship and generally manage the contractor for you.


Lead Design / Consultancy

The Chartered Architectural Technologist acting as the lead
designer/lead consultant is the usual basis of appointment and they will
be tasked with coordinating and integrating the designs produced by all
the designers engaged for the project. In terms of coordination and
leading the design team, the lead designer/lead consultant may be
expected to produce a design programme and take steps to see that the
other consultants (for example: quantity surveyor, services consultants,
structural engineers, etc.) adhere to it. The role can involve
coordinating the designs of specialist sub-contractors including
checking sub-contractors’ tenders, although it should be noted that the
appointment of such consultants and/or subconsultants are the
responsibility of the client and are separate to that of the Lead
Consultant who would not be expected to be liable for their work. In
relation to design integration, the lead designer/ lead consultant may
be expected to see that their own design is compatible and integrated
with the designs of the remainder of the design team and specialist
sub-contractors. The obligation might extend further—to a general duty
to see that the designs produced for the project are compatible with
each other. As ever, which position applies will depend on the terms of
the appointment.


Selecting Building Contractors

You may already know which builder you wish to employ, but if not, you
can seek assistance from your Chartered Architectural Technologist in
the selection and employment of a builder. Factors which often influence
the selection of suitable builders include their skills and experience,
track record, references, solvency, whether they have appropriate
insurances in place and their availability. It is advisable to obtain
more than one quotation. Any conflicts of interest with any professional
who is acting for you should be declared in writing and understood by
you. It is fundamentally important to realise that it is you who will be
employing the builder and you will be responsible for paying the builder
to carry out and complete the building work. In turn, the builder is
responsible for carrying out the work in accordance with the Chartered
Architectural Technologist's design and specification, which will comply
with codes of building practice, and within the timescales that you
agree. For the purposes of certainty and to avoid disputes later on, the
agreement between you and your builder should be set out in a formal
written document, usually a “Building Contract”. Your Chartered
Architectural Technologist will be able to advise you upon the
appropriate form of contract to use

More Information

Browse the document below for more information on what services we can offer.

bottom of page